CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Need Information...Again

Hey Mommies,

In a few short weeks, Owen and I (and CiCi) will be getting on a plane to move to Texas!! My question is: what do I need to take on the plane/trip with me?? And advice for air travel with a wee one?

Help me out ladies.

THANKS!!

6 comments:

Brittany said...

We take a stroller but don't put too much in it because you have to unload and fold it up to run through the X-ray machine. I always put everything in a separate bag so I can take it off the stroller quickly. The flight attendants take the stroller when you board and they have it waiting when you get off. I took Clay on a plane at Owen's age and was so worried about how he would do and it all worked out great. Everyone (mostly) is happy to have a little someone to keep them entertained on the flight. Good luck!

LoriLoo310 said...

If your stroller doesn't fit through the x-ray machine, it's fine. They'll just scan it separately. Ours doesn't fit and we've never had a problem. Always bring extra diapers, wipes, two extra sets of clothes (in case of two diaper explosions). Bring a his favorite blankie and extra pacifiers. Bring an extra shirt for yourself (and Travis). Also, you'll want to give him a bottle on take off and landing so his ears will regulate. Bring a changing pad in case you have to change him in the plane bathroom, and a couple gallon sized ziplocs in case there's no good place to dispose of a poopie diaper. Good luck!

Jacquie said...

We took Lynlee on the plane at 4 months and I specifically asked my non medicine giving doctor if there was anything special I could do to ease the trip. He said I could give her a 1/2 teaspoon of benadryl to help with the pressure. It worked great! And then EVERY Lori said, I definitely needed the extra set of clothes!

Anonymous said...

I know I'm not a lady but i have a little experience in this. question: is he flying as a lap child? or did you buy him a seat? and if you are bringing a car seat, make sure it goes on the aisle, and only in the middle if it doesn't clear the edge of the seat. (kind of confusing, let me know if you are)

and I definitely second the bottle on takeoff and landing. but don't jump the gun too early..start him when you are actually taking off, sometimes i see moms doing it on taxi, when it could be a full 15 minutes before they hit the gas! (they will announce when you are cleared for takeoff).

and second the changing thing. our older planes (like prior to 2005) don't have changing tables, and im assuming other carriers are hit and miss with this also.

I have a friend who travels ALL THE TIME with her little one and she has some sort of baby carrier that goes on her back, and doesn't go off in security. she just breezes right through, no stroller, no nothing, and the carrier fits right under the seat. I could totally give you her email if you want it. shes a child-travelling pro if i ever knew one.

any specific questions I'll do my best to answer.

Anonymous said...

You might call Heather she has done it plenty of times and may have pointers! We will be fine. Can't wait!
CiCi

lisajo said...

My doc said that he doesn't recommend Benadryl for babies under a year, unless they are actually sick. But, I know that lots of moms have done it. If you decide to give him some, you should do a trial run because I have heard that it actually winds some kids up instead of knocking them out. Yikes!

We took the umbrella stroller, but I guess Owen is still too little for that. I would take the minimum, but make sure he has a few toys that he likes (something that holds his attention...lights, vibrations, etc.) If it plays music, it doesn't matter because the plane will be so loud. And one thing that I discovered (by accident) is that the airplane bathrooms have changing tables, so you don't HAVE to change a poopy diaper in your lap unless you just really want to. Good luck, and don't stress. Even if he cries the whole way, people are generally pretty forgiving with the tiny ones. And don't forget to take pix of his first plane ride for the baby book!