CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Friday, January 16, 2009

Gaining Weight, The Bay City Rollers, Bed Time Friends, and how I feel about Pluto.

Well, Owen has the Croup, so he is feeling crummy (but today he is feeling better...i started this blog on Thursday!). Although, he is always smiling, so he is surprisingly upbeat considering. Also, when we took him to the doc today for this diagnosis, we discovered he has only gained 1 pound since his 9 month check up. He weighs 17 lbs 3 oz...and he went from being in the 3rd percentile to not even being on the chart. :-( So...ugh. We have to try to get him to eat more fat and calories, and get him to drink more milk - regular, strawberry, chocolate, soy, or otherwise. Milk is milk, according to the doc. The more we can get down him, the better. Even pedia sure and stuff like that. So, I am on a mission to make sure he gets a certain number of calories a day, even if that means I have to be feeding him something all day long. I guess at his 15 month appointment, if he is still on the really low end, they will have to run some tests. yikes. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get more calories into his diet? (no peanut butter) I think maybe he doesn't eat enough calories ever day. I don't know.

Something hilarious: Owen LOVES "S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y night" by the Bay City Rollers. He LOVES it. He despises having his diaper changed. He won't be still, he fusses and cries and he hates it. We give him toys to play with on the changing table, and he won't have it. We sing some songs, and he is only somewhat interested. Well, for whatever reason Travis started singing BCR and Owen got a HUGE smile on his face and had his diaper changed with no problem. That is now the diaper changing song. :-) So funny.

Owen sleeps through the night now. From about 8/8:30 to 6/6:30. Bless him. He has some special friends that sleep with him. He has his Mr. Monk lovey that he has had since he was a tiny tiny boy, and he has Cappy the monkey that Travis and I bought in New York at FAO Schwartz about 5 months before he was born, and now he has a Curious George that glows and plays lullubies. He LOVES these friends. When we put him in bed (AWAKE!!! he puts himself to sleep even!!) he grabs all of these friends and pulls them to him. It is really sweet.

Alright, I am tired of hearing how Pluto is not a planet. How sad for Pluto to be demoted. And the term "plutoed" is even in the Urban Dictionary. It basically means to be demoted. Sad. Pluto will always be a planet to me. I'm on your side, Pluto!!

And now for the pictures!!

Owen LOVES to play with his socks. (sorry for the snotty nose. The carebear sticker on his shirt shows we were just at the doctor!)

Grandpa and Sam gave him this horsey. He enjoys it.

Uncle Taylor and Aunt Heather got him this table for Christmas, he loves it.

10 comments:

bcstark said...

He is so adorable! I love that y'all have a diaper changing song. Makes me think we might try to find our own - Jackson hates having his diaper changed too!

Jordan said...

Eli was always in the 5th percentile or less so we get the whole "eat more calories" bit. My doctor suggested putting butter in/on everything...and I mean the real stuff. It worked some, I guess. Up until this year he was a skinny minny. Now he's in the 10th percentile so maybe we've made progress. Just hang in there. :)

Me and My Boys said...

Hey Jeri! Your diaper changing woes remind me a lot of Tucker. He loathes having his diaper changed; he still wiggles like crazy but we have just gotten faster...
As for the calories, both my boys took to milk from the get go. I would suggest chocolate milk because he might drink it more. As for other calories maybe yogurt (both boys LOVE to get messy with it). I would also just suggest offering him food ALL day. Not junk food though. I know that will be a pain in the rear but it might help. Good luck with everything! And happy early birthday to Owen!
Clarissa

jennifer said...

Sorry you are having weight trouble...Owen is adorable though!! We had this problem with Brayden...all kinds of tests run and she is fine. Just petite!!! Don't worry yourself and do what you can!

LoriLoo310 said...

Oh the joys of diaper changing. Parents have to be so creative in order to get the most mundane of tasks done, right?

As for fat-full foods that are still relatively healthy:
oatmeal cookies with raisins
Avocados or guacamole
Butter crackers with cheese
Macaroni and cheese (the real kind)
Breaded chicken tenders
Broccoli cheese soup or rice
Ravioli with alfredo or rose sauce

Also, go to Whole Foods for ideas. They usually have good options for snacks and quick-fix meals.

lhassler said...

Hmmm. Heavy Whipping Cream flavored with Jell-o? Ice Cream? The super-fattening double-churned kind?

Man. I wish I had your child's metabolism.

Noelle said...

I didn't read all the comments so someone may have suggested this already. Luc LOVES avocado. I cut it up in bite size pieces for him. He can feed himself and he will eat a whole one if I'd let him. I read that avocado is high in good fats and that it is easy for infants to digest. Also, I am on a weight gain diet. My doctor told me to substitute milk for water in everything I eat. So (if you don't already) you could make his cereal with milk rather than water. I bet he is just a little guy. He's fine.

Anonymous said...

It will be so much easier when he gets a couple of teeth!!! Mom

jana said...

He is soooo cute! I can't wait to see you guys again. Only about a week-and-a-half.

sethnbeth said...

Emma has the same weight problem, except that she weighed in at barely over 15 lbs at 10 months. Our doctor told us to sneak formula into different things including mixing it with her milk, in her ceral, etc. The formula has vitamins and extra calories. We did use the "toddler" formula which is for babies 9-24 months. Formula is more expensive than some of the other suggestions, but if you're desperate, it's worth a try.