CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, July 23, 2007

Need help from pregnant people (or people who have had babies)

I am hungry ALL THE TIME. And I mean, STARVING!! It seems like I cannot put enough food in my body. Oddly enough, I haven't gained a pound, but I eat like a pig. Anyway...here is my question:

I NEED PROTIEN. What do you eat?? Or did you eat?? I don't mean like for dinner (steak, chicken, etc). I was told that I cannot eat hot dogs or lunch meat becuase of the nitrites - so those are out. I can't eat nuts or peanut butter because those are high allergy foods, and since I have allergies if I eat them it makes the chances of Tidbit being allergic to them higher. SO...WHAT CAN I EAT??? I am absolutely FAMISHED during the day ALL DAY LONG. I eat hard boiled eggs, but those only last so long. I eat cheese, but I can only handle so much cheese. I eat yogurt and drink milk (YUCK!) but nothing seems to carry me longer than 15-30 minutes. Please help!!! Come on...Leah and Jennifer...what do you eat? Who else is pregnant and reads my blog?? I NEED YOUR HELP. Call all your pregnant friends and ask them for me!!! K?!?!? Please!! I am begging you!!

19 comments:

jennifer said...

Well...you mentioned all of my suggestions for protein. So, no help there. You might want to start eating 6 small meals a deal rather than 3 large meals a day. That way you spread out your food throughout the day rather than stuffing your face only 3 times. I always ate small snacks in between those meals too. Make sure if you do that that they are healthy snacks-fruits and vegetables, etc. Does this help?

Travis & Jeri Tidmore said...

Everything I east is healthy. And, I also eat six small meals a day, as best I can....but I am STILL hungry. Literaly all day long. Some days are worse than others.

Leah J. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leah J. said...

Woops! Re-posting ... found a type-o ...
The good news ... that starving feeling does slow down a bit here pretty soon. I remember crying because I was so hungry at times :) I ate nuts all the time ... allergies are a bummer. I did love the little cottage cheese contiainers that had cottage cheese on one side and a little fruit on the other. Ask your dr. about lunch meat ... mine said it was ok to eat it as long as I heated it up to kill any listeria bacteria. A turkey and cheese sandwich was a life-saver. Also, chicken salad ... yum! There is one brand of canned chicken that only has chicken and water (no preservatives - can't remember the brand). If you drink more water (juice, etc.) this will keep your tummy full longer. Hope this helps some and I hope that that starving feeling passes for you soon!

Travis & Jeri Tidmore said...

Leah - I think I will try heating up some lunch meat. I also drink so much water, if I drank any more I will be floating!! ha ha I hope it slows down soon, because I feel like all I do is eat lately.

Anonymous said...

sorry, in my day nobody knew anything, so I ate everything.Mom

jennifer said...

Leah had some good advice. Chicken salad would be yummy. The hunger feeling does go away, but right now your body is going through soooo much!! Sorry I am not more of a help! Just eat and make that tummy (and baby) happy!

Anonymous said...

Don't know if you can have it or not but I try a spoonful of peanut butter for some protein and energy. Like your mom said we ate what we wanted except my doctor did grip when I gained too much. Hope someone else can help more!
Love
CiCi

Jacquie said...

My doctor was also ok with the lunch meat. I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich everyday after school for weeks. I also ate A LOT of fruit. Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

I would stay away from lunch meat; it also has nitrates/ites. Get a real turkey or turkey breast and cook it and slice it up. Freeze some for later because it'll go bad faster than lunch meat turkey. Cottage cheese is a great idea. Add some pineapple or peaches to round it out. I like raisins (high in iron) in cottage cheese. Check out the "natural" hotdogs and lunch meat at Whole Foods. They're often tofu products that taste really good. Also check out vegetable alternatives like beans, asparagus, peas (read green pea salad: thawed frozen green peas, diced ham, diced cheese, mayo, shredded carrot). Stick to fruits that high in dietary fiber like blueberries, blackberries, avacado, apples, kiwi. Do a google search on protein rich fruits and vegetables.--K

TTidmore said...

Good luck. I guess it is just a part of being pregnant, but I must say I did not listen to doctors or stats. I ate what I wanted and did not worry about allergies or other things. I definately had to have a diet coke each day with caffeine. I think sometimes people can go overboard. I am glad you are feeling good and you and the baby are healthy. By the way I made my first comment on you last blog date (just in case you do not look at those again).

Travis & Jeri Tidmore said...

K - Tofu makes me puke, literally. I tried it a few nights ago actually. I eat asparagus like it is going out of style, and avocados are something I love, but since I got pregnant it makes me sick. :-(

Heather - diet coke everyday?? really? I would kill for a diet coke right now.

jeri

John said...

I remember when I was pregnant with Perry I ate lots of raw salmon straight from the river... but then I used a grizzly-worshipping witch doctor for an OBGYN.

jennifer said...

I, too, ate lunch meat with Kennan and this time with Brayden. I'm not a big hot dog fan, so that doesn't affect me. I also have a Dr. Pepper everyday (sometimes 2 if it is a looong day). My doctor and midwives have all said as long as you do things in moderation it is okay. If you were to listen to everything they say to do and not do while pregnant, you might find yourself eating only apples and oranges everyday!!! And that's not good either! It really comes down to you doing what you feel comfortable with for you and your body.

LoriLoo310 said...

When I was pregnant I ate lunch meat that was fresh from the deli, not the packaged kind from the store. My doctor said either was fine. I also ate a lot of scrambled egg sandwiches with bacon and drank tons of water (my thirst was never satisfied). The hunger does subside a bit when the little one starts getting bigger. Good snack with protein are:
~Chips or pretzels with cottage cheese and salsa mixed
~Avocado, bacon and tomato sandwich
~Turkey meatballs with whole grain pasta
~Turkey burgers
~Grilled pork tenderloin
~To your favorite salad add: sunflower seeds, pine nuts, hard-boiled egg, chicken, bacon, etc.

Eating small stuff througout the day really helped me with the hunger and thirst. Always have snacks handy to grab like grapes or beef jerky (low sodium kind).

Kelli said...

I've never been pregnant, but what about protein bars? I've heard they're not bad now...hope you figure it out! :)

Jordan said...

I agree with Heather...drink the Diet Coke! I had a Diet Coke with lime from Sonic everday during my first trimester with Phoebe because the carbonation was the only thing that made me feel better. With Eli, they were worried that the two of us weren't gaining any weight so they had me eating 5 or 6 protein bars a day. I hated it because it did make me full and they lasted a long time. I didn't have to do that Phoebe, but I ate whole-grain granola alot because it also fills you up...then again, I ate it ALL THE TIME! I think it is just part of being pregnant. I ate a lot of peanut butter too, but I know that you can't so no help there. Hope it helps!
Jordan

Anonymous said...

Some more food ideas:
- chicken salad (w/bread, crackers, or croissant roll)
- salad with chicken strips (greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, cheese, hard boiled eggs, and chicken strips - dressing of your choice, I like honey mustard)
- chicken or steak fajitas
- wrap sandwiches: you can use grilled chicken strips, steak strips and add some cheese, lettuce, and dressing (Creamy Caesar and Balsamic Vinaigrette are my favorites)
- vanilla yogurt with fruit and granola
- cheese and crackers (you could do a cheese spread or sliced cheese)

The protein bars are a great suggestion and you can definitely have one cup of caffeine a day. Go for the diet coke!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeri, I have never met you before, but I'm from Amarillo and I know Travis. I saw your blog off Kristen's blog and I've kinda been keeping up with your pregnancy. I have a one year old, and I'm currently pregnant (11 weeks) with number 2. Here's my advice: If you like eggs, eat them not only boiled, but fried, scrambled, or as an omelet. And you can mix them with all kinds of healthy veggies like spinach or whatever you like them with. You could even put some of that no nitrite turkey in your omelet with some cheese . . . yum!! OK, I'm glad you feel good! congratulations that you felt the baby!! I hope you don't mind that I read your blog!

Love and Prayers,
Cassie Haney (Travis knows me as Cassie Chaffin).